It has been a year in quarantine with no travel plans, and I can only dream about eating Mediterranean food. It has not been an easy year, and with the extended, enhanced, modified, general, hard or soft quarantine, we’re running out of adjectives for the longest quarantine in the world. I can no longer keep up with what kind of quarantine we are on, but staying put is my own small way of helping stop the spread of the virus.
This is why I look forward to Sunday lunches with the family. It is the only time we ever go out of the house, going straight to my brother’s condo is the biggest “outing” I can get these days.
Mediterranean dishes are not something we often make, but now that we tried it, it is likely to become one of our staples. It is easy to make, and you don’t need a lot of ingredients. My mom has been making her own tahini and moutabel and dipping it in this homemade pita.
@thekitchendiaristGrilled steak in homemade pita with arugula salad, roasted veggetable, and garlic yogurt sauce #fyp #tiktokfood #steaksandwich #thekitchendiarist♬ Swear By It – Clutch
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup warm water
- Grilled steak tenderloin
- Arugula salad mix with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- 1 onion, roasted
- 2 bell peppers, roasted
- 1 zucchini, roasted
- shaved parmegiano reggiano (feta works too!)
Garlic yogurt sauce
- 16 oz. yogurt
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- For the pita, mix all ingredients using a stand mixer until well combined. You may also knead by hand until it forms into a smooth dough.
- Rest for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and cut the dough into balls.
- Roll each dough piece into a rough circle, about 6-7 inches in diameter, keep work surface and rolling pin lightly floured.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat.
- When the pan is hot, place one dough circle into the pan and allow to cook 45 seconds to 1 minute or until the bottom surface has a few pale brown spots and the uncooked surface is bubbly.
- Flip to other side and cook for 15-20 seconds.
- Remove from pan with tongs and stack in a covered container or zippered bag to keep the tortillas soft.
- Serve warm or allow to cool for later use and reheat when ready to serve.
- Assemble the pita sandwich.